Quote of the Day 10/07/08 -- one for the election cycle

If the people have a sense of moderation and responsibility, and are most careful guardians of the common weal, it is right to enact a law allowing such people to choose their own magistrates for the government of the commonwealth. But if, as time goes on, the same people become so corrupt as to sell their votes, and entrust the government to scoundrels and criminals; then the right of appointing their public officials is rightly forfeit to such a people, and the choice devolves to a few good men.

Augustine in "On the Freedom of the Will"

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Fitting. Very fitting. Oh for a solution...or for change :)

Eyes_Wide_Open said...

Change. I don't want to hear that word any more.

So, who would those few "good men" be?

JPB said...

I don't know, just Augustine's view of democracy and the fitness of the people to govern themselves.

Unknown said...

Janine! I can't believe you want things to stay the way they have been for the last 8 years! No Change? There you have it: Janine has backed the plans of the current government.

(I have been watching TOO MANY DEBATES!) The word twisting and simplifying of votes is driving me nuts!

That in and of itself is, to me manipulative and less than respectable...on both "sides"

Eyes_Wide_Open said...

I was just asking, hypothetically, if there WERE to be "a few good men," who would they be?

Would Augustine even be able to tell you?

Now Jodi, you know me. ;)

Here's evidence of the corruption in Washington from W. himself:

"And there is distrust in Washington. I am surprised, frankly, at the amount of distrust that exists in this town. And I'm sorry it's the case, and I'll work hard to try to elevate it."

Funny slip of the tongue??

Don't flame me.